Friday, April 10, 2009

ASSURE Lesson Plan #1 Reflection

Regarding my reflections on my first ASSURE model lesson plan, I feel that there are three NETS*T standards that might apply to my lesson plan for Beginning Japanese. Based on the information from our syllabus, I am using the NETS*T standards for teachers from 2000 and not from 2008. The first standard that I think applies to my lesson plan is 2A “design developmentally appropriate learning opportunities that apply technology-enhanced instructional strategies to support the diverse needs of learners”(ISTE). The second standard that I think applies to my lesson plan is 3B “use technology to support learner-centered strategies that address the diverse needs of students”(ISTE). The third standard that I think applies to my lesson plan is 3C. “apply technology to develop students’ higher-order skills and creativity” (ISTE). I believe that my lesson plan might accomplish the above three standards, because my lesson plan asks the students to do individual research on the internet, use the information found to create digital spreadsheets, and analyze the data from the digital spreadsheets to create PowerPoint presentations.

While planning this lesson, I learned that there are several different components that need to go into a well thought out lesson. Teachers need to come up with these components ahead of time and organize them in the appropriate manner. This is done by making structured lesson plans. There are several different ways in which a teacher can write a lesson plan, but for this assignment we were to use the ASSURE model lesson plan. The ASSURE model lesson plan is useful because “it is an ISD (Instructional Systems Design) process that was modified to be used by teachers in the regular classroom. The ISD process is one in which teachers and trainers can use to design and develop the most appropriate learning environment for their students” (UNCA).

I think that the only new technology tool that I used to complete this assignment was using a different type of search engine than those that I am use to using. I usually use Google and Yahoo to search for information on the Internet. Along with Google and Yahoo, this time I tried Dogpile. Since I had never written a lesson plan using the ASSURE model before, I used these various search engines to find examples of ASSURE model lesson plans. I liked the Dogpile search engine. It looked up more precise information than did Google or Yahoo. When I typed in “ASSURE model lesson plan example”, Dogpile pulled up only about sixty-five Websites. Yahoo pulled up over one million Websites, and Google pulled up over two million Websites. So a search engine like Dogpile is handy if you want to find the information that you are looking for fast and do not want to have to sift through countless irrelevant Websites. I also found out that you can learn various different Excel and PowerPoint techniques if you go to the respective Microsoft Websites and do the tutorials. These tutorials are useful for everyone from beginner to advanced users of Excel and PowerPoint. For my lesson, I chose to integrate the basic tutorials to give a general overview on how to use both Microsoft applications.

I think that the thing I liked least about this assignment was actually coming up with the topic for my lesson plan. I found it hard to come up with something that I could teach a Beginning Japanese Class that could also be put into a digital spreadsheet. I think that in a foreign language class, it is hard to collect and compare data. It turns out that me and one other classmate pretty much came up with the same idea for our lesson plan, and she is teaching a totally different type of class. In general, I also just do not like making lesson plans. This is one of my least favorite aspects of teaching. They can take a very long time to make, and they have to be very precise in order for other teachers to be able to teach your lesson if you are not in class. I am also use to making my lesson plans in a different format. The last thing that I did not like about this assignment is something that I do not like about any type of assignment, and this is having to use correct citations and references. When I did my four year degree I used MLA format for all of my research papers. Now I am having to use APA format. And I have to admit that it is somewhat confusing, especially referencing online material. I looked at various examples of referencing Websites and Web pages in APA format and they all seem to be a little different. I guess buying one of those APA Guides would be a good option instead of trying to find online examples.

I think the thing that I liked the best about this assignment was having to use my creativity to come up with a topic that I could use to make a lesson plan where I could have my Beginning Japanese students make digital spreadsheets. I had to sit and think pretty hard to come up with an idea. I also liked having to think of ways to integrate different types of technology into my lesson plan. Nowadays there are a lot more technology tools that can be used in a classroom than there were back when I was in grade school. I think that a lot of students nowadays like to use the computer. By integrating the use of computers and other types of technology into the classroom, I think that a lot more students might actually want to learn new information at school and use these skills to work on projects outside of the classroom.

References

ISTE. “NETS FOR TEACHERS 2000.” April 9, 2009
http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2000Standards/NETS_for_Teachers_2000.htm

UNCA. “ASSURE Model.” April 9, 2009 http://www.unca.edu/education/edtech/techcourse/assure.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment