Friday, May 29, 2009

ASSURE Lesson Plan #2 Reflection

I feel that there are three NETS*T standards that might apply to my second ASSURE model lesson plan for Intermediate Japanese. The first standard that I think applies to my second lesson plan is 2A “Teachers plan and design effective learning environments and experiences supported by technology. Teachers: design developmentally appropriate learning opportunities that apply technology-enhanced instructional strategies to support the diverse needs of learners”(ISTE). The second standard that I think applies to my second lesson plan is 3C “Teachers implement curriculum plans that include methods and strategies for applying technology to maximize student learning. Teachers: apply technology to develop students’ higher-order skills and creativity” (ISTE). The third standard that I think applies to my second lesson plan is 5B “Teachers understand the social, ethical, legal, and human issues surrounding the use of technology in PK-12 schools and apply those principles in practice. Teachers: apply technology resources to enable and empower learners with diverse backgrounds, characteristics, and abilities” (ISTE). I think that my lesson plan accomplishes standards 2A and 3C by having the students create a video presentation using a method other than PowerPoint, and having the students create a website using a website creator. I think that my lesson plan accomplishes standard 5B by using technology that allows diverse students to participate in the lesson.

I think that creating the second ASSURE model lesson plan was a lot easier than creating the first ASSURE model lesson plan. I used the same template and just went back and made the changes that were needed. I like using the ASSURE model lesson plan. Though it takes some time to create them, I find ASSURE model lesson plans to be very thorough. I think that if I was out of work one day, another teacher would be able to follow the ASSURE model lesson plan without any problems as long as all of the needed materials were already in place.

If I were to actually teach my second ASSURE model lesson plan to an Intermediate Japanese Class, I would probably come up with a list of Japanese websites that I wanted to show the class, and I would add these websites to my Delicious List. This way I would have these websites already bookmarked, and they would be easy to access. The students could use a program such as Slideshare to create their video presentation and one of the various website creators to create their websites.

The hardest part about the second ASSURE model lesson plan was figuring out the type of disability that my one student would have. Because I chose to have my one student be deaf, I did not find it too hard to come up with ways to include this student in the lesson. This student could use the Internet to do research, help put the subtitles into the video presentations, and help to create the websites. This student could also help to narrate the video presentation as long as they had speaking skills. I think that it would be interesting to see what kinds of alterations I could make to this lesson plan to include students with other types of disabilities. I think that this lesson plan was a little harder, because this time we had to come up with a rubric to use to access how well the students accomplished the objectives of the lesson. I ended up finding online two different rubrics that I liked one for a video presentation and one for the creation of a website. Since these were the two main objectives of my lesson, I just combined these two rubric into one and took out the categories that I did not need.

The best part about the second ASSURE model lesson plan was being able to pick the types of media that I wanted to incorporate into the lesson plan. For the first ASSURE model lesson plan, we were told that we had to have the students create a digital spreadsheet. This time the only requirements were that we used at least two different types of media to teach the lesson and that the students had to use at least two different types of media to accomplish the objectives of the lesson. I think that it would be really interesting to see what types of media my students would use to create their video presentations and websites if I were to actually teach this lesson.

References

ISTE. “NETS FOR TEACHERS 2000.” April 9, 2009
http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2000Standards/NETS_for_Teachers_2000.htm

1 comment: